[^] | [YOUTH] | [U12] | [2011-2012]

Youth Hockey


U12s Boys Second in Home Tournament
Having won the Harleston tournament convincingly, Norwich City started off slowly in their own tournament today. Perhaps we were a bit complacent or maybe we were just a bit sleepy after lunch, but whatever it was, the Norwich boys did not really get going in their first match against Dragons. City opened the scoring with a trademark goal, Dan Phillips taking the ball to the byeline and crossing to Cameron Cook to slot home. However, Dragons hit back and scored three times, going straight through the middle and leaving keeper Ben Millett with little chance. 
After this, City began to get back to their normal form. First of all we beat Watton 3-0, with two goals from Cameron Cook and one from Skipper Harry Paterson. Next came Dereham. Good work on the flanks from Tom Gourlay and Jack Watling gave us the platform from which to attack and we ran out 4-0 winners, the goals shared between Harry and Cameron. 
Our fourth match was against Pelicans, who scored early. However, Norwich pressed hard and after much pressure equalised, with Dan Phillips crossing from the right, leading to a reverse stick shot from Harry which was deflected in by Cameron. Meanwhile City were also doing some good defensive duties, with Daniel Byrne and Tom Bailey in control at the back and Ben Millett making a couple of excellent saves. As the clock ticked down, Cameron scored the winner with an absolute thunderbolt of a shot leaving the Pelicans’ excellent keeper stranded. 
By now, it was clear that Dragons had already won the tournament and the result of our match against Harleston was academic. Although we had several good shots on target, we could not quite score and the match ended goalless.  
Overall Norwich finished second having won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1, which is really a pretty good day’s work. However the boys were still disappointed, which shows the very high standards they have set themselves! 
Player of the Tournament goes to Daniel Byrne who, in his first tournament for the U12 A team, stepped up to the plate and made some vital interceptions and good tackles. 
Finally thank you to all the parents for their support in freezing conditions and to all the volunteers who made this tournament the success it was.

U12 Boys Successful at Harleston Tournament
Norwich City entered two U12 Boys teams into the first tournament of the season at Harleston Magpies. The A team was a reassembly of the strong U10 team who were Norfolk Champions two years ago and were aiming to win the tournament, whilst the B team was made up of some of our less experienced players with the aim being to gain valuable match experience. Both teams achieved their goals and did us proud. 
The tournament presented the young B team with a challenging start, pitching them straight into a tough match against the more experienced and very strong Norwich City A team. The whole team rallied to the defensive task and debutant keeper Ben Millet pulled off some great saves to keep the first five minutes goalless. Eventually, the pressure was too much and the A-team found a way through, running out 4:0 winners. 
Moments later the B team were up against the Harleston A team. Once again, strong defence was the order of the day, with the defensive pair of Daniel Byrne &Alex Turner, assisted by midfielders Tom Gourlay, Michael Milne-Brown and Ben Chapman managing to keep the score down to a 1:0 defeat. Next up were Dereham and the Norwich striker, Angus Cringle was able to see more of the ball. Good support from Dougie Tomlinson and the rest of midfield resulted in some attacking moves, but none could be converted into goals and the match ended in stalemate. 
Watton provided the next challenge and another even contest was fought. Watton took the lead when a save from Millett fell to an onrushing attacker. The game looked to have slipped away from Norwich, when Michael Milne-Brown pushed a loose ball between the keeper's kickers to score his first ever competitive goal. Encouraged by the comeback, the Norwich boys dominated the next game and the goals seemed to fly in. Cringle, Milne-Brown, Chapman and Gourlay each got their names on the scoresheet with some strong hockey skills against the Harleston B squad to secure the win. With young legs tiring, the last two games were losses against a strong Pelicans team and an impressive Dragons attack. Ending seventh out of the eight teams, the Norwich B team can be very happy with a great days' hockey which saw each player try their hardest and put in a team performance which improved greatly as the day went on. Player of the Tournament was awarded to Ben Millet for outstanding goalkeeping all day! 
The A team played majestically through the tournament winning six out of the seven games and drawing one, comfortably winning the overall tournament. In the 84 minutes of playing time, the As scored 43 goals and only conceded one. The goals were shared out with front man Cameron Cook scoring 21 goals, supported by the midfield trio of Harry Paterson with fourteen and Sam Bingham and Dan Phillips with four goals each.  
What was particularly pleasing was that the boys played superb hockey and looked like a real team. Ed Briggs, Tom Bailey and George Harrad were excellent at the back, snuffing out chances quickly. Harry Paterson worked like a demon in midfield, twinning any 50:50 balls then distributing the ball to Sam Bingham and Dan Phillips on the flanks. Sam and Dan consistently beat players along the byeline before delivering inch-perfect passes for Cameron Cook on the penalty spot to sweep the ball home. All in all, it was an excellent performance and it would be wrong to single out any one player as the player of the tournament. The challenge for the coaches and players will be to keep improving from such a good start! 
Finally, thanks to all the parents and helpers for all your support, and congratulations to all the players for being such a credit to Norwich City Hockey Club. 
Al Paterson & Colin Milne-Brown

U12 Boys Triumph at Watton Tournament - 29 April
John ‘Frosty’ Ingham took a strong squad of eight boys to Watton on a wet April Sunday afternoon for the final tournament of the season. With Pelicans and Harleston absent, Norwich’s first game was against hosts Watton. It didn’t take long for City’s finest to shine, with Josh Bailey opening the scoring early on with a precise close range finish. Harry Paterson doubled the lead, giving the Watton keeper no chance with a fine top of the ‘D’ short corner strike. With City’s defence holding firm with Harry Ingham and Sam Bingham, Josh Bailey then went on a scoring frenzy, grabbing 3 more goals in quick succession. James Hewitt capped a fine display, deservedly scoring City’s sixth to finish 6-0 winners. 
City’s second game was against Dereham and they soon got into their stride. Excellent work from the midfield trio of Harry Paterson, Jack Watling and James Hewitt allowed Josh Bailey to open a comfortable lead with two neatly taken goals. Harry Paterson was then rewarded for his tireless efforts with his second of the day. With Dereham struggling to test Jack Cazier in City’s goal, Norwich dominated possession and James Hewitt was soon able to bag City’s fourth. With plenty of time still on the clock, Sam Bingham burst out of defence to slot home past a diving Dereham keeper and make the score 5-0. Sadly, the Dereham keeper’s effort left him with a badly twisted knee and was unable to continue, calling an early end to the game. 
City’s final game of the day was against Norwich Dragons and avoiding defeat would mean a tournament win. With James Hewitt deciding to miss out due to a hand injury, City continued their excellent form and Theo Hinton joined in the fun, only to be thwarted by a spirited Dragons Keeper. The result was never in doubt though and after Sam Bingham opened City’s account, Harry Paterson quickly bagged two more to finish the game with a 3-0 City win. 
After finishing second in several tournaments this season, it was great for the U12 Boys to finish off with such an emphatic tournament win. The boys looked suitably proud as Josh Bailey led them up at the presentation ceremony to collect the Winner's certificate and medals. 
Final statistics were: Played 3, won 3, goals for 14, goals against 0! 
Josh Bailey 6 
Harry Paterson 4 
James Hewitt 2 
Sam Bingham 2 
Player of the tournament: Josh Bailey 

U12 Boys at the Regional Finals 14 April 2012
The U12 Boys arrived at the Regional Championships at Harleston with high hopes, having performed so well in the Norfolk County Championships a month earlier. Our first two matches backed this up. We dominated Blueharts, the Hertfordshire Champions, from the off. The early pressure paid off when Josh Bailey won the ball on the right, slipped the ball to Jake Cushion whose pass to the far post was majestically knocked in by Sam Bingham. Shortly after, Norwich won a short corner. Jake slipped the ball to James Hewitt who calmly took his time to lift the ball over the diving keeper for a 2-0 lead at half time. With Harry Ingham and Tom Spencer keeping us solid at the back, Norwich continued to press in the second half and were unlucky not to win by more.  
Norwich continued in the second match against Cambridge (Cambridgeshire Champions) in the same vein. Our first goal came from another short corner. Harry Paterson passed left to James who clinically beat the keeper. The second goal was a solo effort from James who dribbled the ball up the right hand side of the pitch and, when everyone (including the keeper) was expecting the ball to be pulled back, he coolly slid the ball inside the near post. It finished 2-0 to Norwich and could have been more. 
Having played two, won two, we had a good chance of qualifying for the finals, but sadly it just wasn’t to be. Norwich moved onto the water-based astro and struggled to adapt to the change in bounce. In a thrilling game Bury scored twice through bouncing mis-hit shortcorners which our defenders just couldn’t stop, as well as one awesome strike. The boys fought back bravely, with one fantastic short-corner goal from Jake Cushion and another from a well-taken Josh Bailey strike. But sadly it was not enough and we lost 3-2. 
Our final group game was against Blue Hornets. Against the run of play, BH scored first, with a bouncing short-corner ricocheting off our defender and past Jack Cazier in goal. After that Norwich attacked relentlessly, with Rob Duffy and Tom Spencer firing balls up from the back and Dan Phillips on the right searing past the BH midfield. In a tense game we just couldn’t convert and, with everyone thrown forward, we succumbed to a BH breakway goal for a 2-0 loss. 
Sadly, results did not go our way on the day and narrowly coming third in our Group meant we did not go through to the semi-finals. The Championship was ultimately won by Harleston Magpies, who will be representing the East at the National Finals in Cannock HC and we wish them all the best. We should take heart from Harleston’s win, as it shows the strength of Norfolk hockey and we know from the County Championships we are not far behind them. 
So, whilst results, and a little bit of luck, did not go our way, the squad has performed extremely well and the boys should be really pleased with what they have acheived. We finished equal 5th in the whole of the East Region, the boys played really well both individually and as a team and they have been a pleasure to coach.  
Player of the Tournament: Dan Phillips for continually tormenting the opposition down the right hand flank. 

U12 Girls - East Region Finals, Sunday 15th April
As county champions the girls had high hopes of doing well in this tournament. In new tops and socks they began with a great 1-0 win against Sudbury from Suffolk. In our second game despite having most of the shots at goal we could not find the winning goal and conceded late on to Cambridge 1-0. 
We then faced Blueharts from Herts, again we had most of the possession but Blueharts scored from their only one shot at goal we not needed to win both our final two games and other results to go in our favour to progress. 
The team took on the challenge fantastically and played superb hockey to beat Chelmsford, Essex 8-0, they then defeated top of the table Canterbury, Kent 2-0 with a performance of the day. 
Despite scoring the most and conceding the least it just was not enough. 
This was our final game for the U12 A team having won 4 tournaments in a row without conceding a goal the bit of luck they needed did not arrive. 
The magnificent team: 
Maddie Anthony (GK), great saves and strong clearances. 
Evie Wills (defence), consistently strong and powerful clearances. 
Louisa Crabtree (defence), excellent tackling and accurate clearances. 
Abbie Ingham (mid), excellent link up play and great cover tackling. 
Lauren Rowe (forward & captain), powerful attacking and amazing finishing. 
Victoria Findlay (forward), tireless attacking play and great vision with skill. 
Eve Barnes (forward), skilful and deadly in front of the goal. 
Anna Tighe (forward), excellent setting up and great driving skills. 
Well played girls see you in the ladies development team! 
Mandy & John Ingham 
U12 Girls Coaches. 

The Norwich U12 girls were in awesome form at the county tournament held at Pelicans. The team won all 6 games scoring 23 goals and conceding 0. After winning at the Dragons tournament last week the coaches decided to play a more attacking formation, and it paid off. 
They began against Dereham A, and completely dominated possession with chance after chance to score not taken but finally with seconds left Lauren Rowe hit a high ball into the top corner of the net to get us off to a deserved win 1-0. 
The second game was going to be the toughest challenge against Pelican A. The girls again started well with early shots. Pelicans also had chances to score but keeper Maddie Anthony made three amazing saves. In the end our possession paid off with a flowing move that resulted in Eve Barnes scoring for another 1-0 win. 
The team went into the third game against Magpies A with confidence, once again they had most of the possession and scored early through Anna Tighe. The defence of Louisa Crabtree and Evie Wills did not give Magpies a single chance and we recorded our third 1-0 victory. 
Next match was Dereham B, where the Norwich City team were in complete control winning 10-0 with hat tricks for Lauren Rowe and Eve Barnes. 
Our fifth game was against Norwich Dragons. The girls again completely outplayed the opposition with Abbie Ingham setting up some excellent flowing moves and Victoria Findlay showed her deadly finishing ability to record a hat trick in a 5-0 win. 
The final game was against Pelican Bs, Norwich City knew they had secured the top spot but wanted to go out with a perfect record. They saved their best play until last and with an awesome team display they scored five superb goals record their sixth straight win. 
Overall the team played the best hockey of the day and thoroughly deserved the title of County Champions.  
Lauren Rowe (Captain) LF (9 goals) 
Maddie Anthony GK 
Evie Wills LB 
Louisa Crabtree RB 
Abbie Ingham CM 
Anna Tighe RF (2 goals) 
Eve Barnes RF (5 goals) 
Victoria Findlay CF (7 goals) 
Mandy Ingham 

First Place for U12 Girls at Dragons Tournament

U12s Qualify for Regional Finals!
It was a rainy, cold, early Sunday Morning for the County Championships at Greshams – some things never change! With only four teams in the competition, we knew we had to come out strongly to stand a chance of finishing in the top 2 and qualifying for the Regional Finals in April. 
Pelicans was the first, difficult hurdle. Norwich started very brightly and quickly went ahead via a well taken Jake Cushion goal. We continued to press before half-time but couldn’t quite convert our chances. 1-0 up at the break, the coaches urged Norwich to play their hearts out to make sure that we kept the lead. Sure enough the boys delivered, with Rob Duffy and Harry Ingham tackling strongly at the back and keeper Jack Cazier keeping Pelicans at bay. As Norwich continued to surge forward, Sam Bingham passed the ball to Harry Paterson who released a thunderbolt of a shot towards the top of the goal. Somehow the Pelicans keeper got a hand to the ball to keep it out. The ball dropped loose and there was Dan Phillips pouncing to make it 2-0 to Norwich. After that Norwich controlled the game, and the parents watching were delighted with a 2-0 win against strong opposition. 
As the spectators and other teams huddled in the gazebos to avoid the heavy rain, our exuberant squad continued to practice until it was time for our second foe, Harleston Magpies. We knew that if we won this match, the Championship would be ours. Magpies started quicker, but after an early attack broke down, the ball was cleared out to Jake Cushion, just inside the Magpies half. Jake dribbled the ball at pace before slipping the ball past the Magpies keeper. 1-0 and the boisterous (but always fair) Norwich City supporters went wild! The game continued, with Norwich looking strong. Shortly after, the ball was pinging around the D, hit a Magpies foot and James Hewitt slotted the ball home. Sadly the whistle had already been blow and the goal didn’t count. Magpies surged forward and won a short corner just as the half time whistle blew. The corner was played and Magpies well struck shot made it 1-1 at half time. 
The second half continued at the same frenetic pace, with both teams having chances, and Norwich on top largely due the efforts of our players who were putting everything into the game: Jake Cushion, James Hewitt, Sam Bingham, Dan Phillips and Josh Bailey were all over the pitch and Tom Spencer was a rock in defence. However, against the run of play, Magpies won a second short corner, and with the same routine made it 2-1. Norwich kept fighting, but sadly the whistle went, leaving us very unlucky on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline. 
Finally, Norwich came up against Dragons. Within a minute Norwich were 1-0 up, with a Josh Bailey cross from right wing being swept in by Harry Paterson. Norwich continued to attack with James Hewitt scoring the second, and a host of opportunities going begging. In the second half, Harry Paterson scored his second, before Josh Bailey scored with a thunderous shot. The team was looking tired by now and some slightly chaotic defending allowed Dragons to get a goal, with the game ending 4-1 to Norwich. 
And so Norwich finished second in the tournament, with only that narrowest of defeats against Harleston preventing us being crowned Norfolk Champions. However, we had played extremely well, worked hard and have achieved our aim of reaching the Regional Finals. The coaching team were extremely proud as Jake Cushion led up the brave bedraggled team to receive their pennant and medals from Norman Hart, Umpire Coach. 
Player of the Tournament: Despite strong competition from absolutely everybody, player of the tournament goes to Jake Cushion for leading from the front and putting everything into the game. 

U12 Boys Getting Closer!
Norwich took a strong U12 Boys Squad to the Harleston Magpies Tournament, with the toughest decision being how to choose an A and a B team. In the end, we went largely on age, with the A team being the more experienced boys and the Bs being mostly those new up from U10s this season.  
The 9.30 start on a bitterly cold morning in half-term proved too early for some, with players careering in from all corners of East Anglia as some parents woke up late/got lost [delete as appropriate!] and did their best to make the start time. Our first game was the A v B derby, with manager Kerri having her work cut out to find two goalkeepers to allow us to start. An exciting game was end-to-end but finished scoreless, largely due to three super saves by U10 goalkeeper Kieran Myatt on behalf of the B team. 
The A team moved on to play Magpies B. We started well but, in playing attacking hockey, we were left exposed at the back and against the run of play, Magpies broke through and easily beat our borrowed keeper No 3. With only ten minutes in each game, Norwich needed to score quickly and surged forward time and again, before James Hewitt drove through the middle and got his shot home. Norwich continued to press with defenders Theo Hinton, Tom Spencer and Rob Duffy pushing forward, but were unable to turn the draw into a win.  
Buoyed by the arrival of goalkeeper Jack Cazier, the As continued to improve. We beat Dragons 2-0, through two Joe Flatt goals, the second stemming from a superb driving run by Josh Bailey. Next up was Ipswich. It wasn’t long before Sam Bingham put us 1-0 up with the “Goal of the Day” – a well struck lifted shot into the right-hand cornerof the goal. James Hewitt made it 2-0 to City, before some lax defending allowing Ipswich to score. With the coaches bellowing for more focus on defence and less on attack, the final whistle went for a 2-1 victory.  
Norwich As next played Magpies A team, firm favourites for the tournament. For the first five minutes we held them and looked good. However, strong pressure from Magpies eventually paid off, and Norwich were a little guilty of ball-watching as Magpies eventually won 3-0.  
Finally we played Thetford, and had all the play. James Hewitt made some good running before putting Josh through for our first. Shortly later, James’s short-corner strike was stopped on the line and the alert Sam Bingham pushed it home from almost 15 cm (they all count!) before Joe Flatt made it 3-0 with another poacher’s goal.  
Norwich B’s second game was against Thetford, and a real team performance led to a 4-0 win, with goals from Harry Paterson, Jack Watling, Cameron Cook and Dan Phillips. Next up against Magpies B the team overcame a shaky start thanks to some good defensive work from Yu-Hin Chan, before goals from Cameron and Joe Wales gave us a good 2-0 win.  
The B team’s next opponents were Dragons. Cameron kicked off the scoring with two goals, the second coming after a super dribble along the bye-line from Dan Phillips. Harry scored the third with a short corner strike and Joe Wales smartly pushed home the fourth. Finally Jack Watling received the ball in front of goal and cleverly lifted the ball over the sprawling goalkeeper. 5-0 in a ten minute game is pretty impressive. 
Finally our young team came up against Magpies A, knowing that if they won, they would win the tournament. Sadly it was a bridge too far and despite holding out for half the game, eventually the dam burst and we lost 4-0. Wise beyond his years, skipper Harry Ingham was philosophical, feeling that the team had performed well across the day. 
In the end, out of seven teams, Norwich City B were second and Norwich City A came third. In total, the two Norwich teams won seven, drew three and lost two, and it appears that the gap to Magpies is narrowing. The boys performed really well, earnt their drink at the bar (see photo!) and have given the coaches some tough but welcome selection problems to think about! 
Players of the Tournament:  
A team: Josh Bailey for showing real drive and determination and setting a great example for the rest of the team 
B team: Dan Phillips for great running and dribbling down the right wing: “harder to catch than smoke” 
Manager of the Tournament: Kerri for all her hard work in finding goalkeepers for nearly every game and making lots of new friends in the process 

U12 Boys On Fire at Freezing Rudd Tournament
On a bitterly cold Sunday morning, the U12 boys and their dedicated parents met up at Greshams for the Rudd Tournament. We had the benefit of three substitutes so the team orders were to work really hard and take frequent breaks. 
Out first match was against Pelicans and Norwich were on top from the off. Several Norwich attacks down the right were snuffed out, so we switched play to the left: Sam Bingham took the ball down the line before rocketing a pass across the D for James Hewitt to convert. Shortly later Joe Flatt got the second, applying dogged determination to get the ball over the line. Harry scored a third with a good shot from the top of the D. It wasn’t all our way, and Pelicans nipped in for a goal before Josh Bailey got our fourth with a well taken goal to give us a 4-1 win. 
Against Magpies, Norwich started sharply and had several attacks but couldn’t quite score. After a few minutes, and against the run of play, Magpies seized a lost ball, moved forward and scored. Our heads didn’t drop and we continued to press. It was an even game, with good defending at both ends and some super saves by Jack Cazier in goal keeping us in the match. Eventually the goal came, but sadly to Magpies. The 2-0 win flattered Magpies, whose coach was very complimentary about how well Norwich had played. 
Next match was against Dereham. With Rob Duffy making some marauding runs through the middle and Tom Spencer passing forward with awesome power, Norwich were soon on top. Josh started the scoring with a well taken goal from the left hand side. Next Dan ran onto a ball in the D and calmly passed the ball past the keeper into the corner of the goal. The next two goals were well struck shots from the top of the D from Joe and Harry P. 
In the second half, Josh scored a great goal from the top of the D. James slotted another, before Sam Bingham converted an awesome solo effort - but sadly it was disallowed due to an earlier infringement. Norwich were not deterred - Harry P came in from the right, hit the post and then quickly netted the rebound with a chip over the keeper for a 7-0 win. 
In our last match Norwich seemed to underestimate Dragons. In fact, it was Dragons who nearly scored first, with only a super stop by Harry Ingham on the line keeping us ahead. At half-time we were nil-nil, and the coaches encouraged the team to lift their workrate, keep passing and the goals would come. And so it proved. Harry P got the ball at the top of the D, span round to escape a tackle and slotted the ball home. Next Joe poached a goal in a goal mouth scramble. Harry’s second came when his strike got deflected into the goal off a Dragons defender and finally James Hewitt (I think) swept the final goal home for a 4-0 win. 
Meanwhile in a “what happened next” moment, a hard lifted shot from Harry was brilliantly saved in front of goal by one of the Dragon’s defenders. The ball deflected over the cross bar, then over the fence before landing with a sickening crunch on the windscreen of the Dereham coach’s car. Ouch! 
And so Norwich finished a close second in the tournament with goals coming so thick and fast that I may not have recorded them all correctly (sorry!). It was really pleasing to see how much the team has improved and it was with great pride that coaches and parents watched the team, led by Skipper Sam Bingham, proudly collect their medals from Graham Britton and Stu Peters.  
Player of the Tournament: it was difficult to pick a POTM today as the whole team played brilliantly, but it goes to James Hewitt for his excellent workrate -particularly in getting back to defend.  

U12 Girls B Team Fight Fiercely for Fifth
What a pleasure it was to look after the Norwich Under 12 Girls B today - the epitomy of being a very good "team". They are a happy and commited bunch - with great prospects as seven of the nine girls are still under 12 next year. Our goalkeeper Amelia Ellis-Baumber was dependable when called upon -which wasn't that often with the superb defence of Ellie Pitcher, Rebecca Gaffney & Emily Rash. Emily Rash's remarkable recovery and triple goal saving interception against Ipswich deserves special mention. Midfielders Molly Crabtree, Grace Kidner, Anja Wimmer & Lydia Ellis-Baumber worked effectively and tirelessly to the end. Upfront Eve Barnes with the pace and skill to frighten any defence - scoring a last gasp goal to secure a deserved draw against the eventual winners Ipswich B and a solo winner against Norwich A to the delight of half the Norwich supporters.They ALL gave their best and very much enjoyed the last match! Thank you and very well done.  
For the record: Played 9, Won 5, Drew 3, Lost 1 
v Magpies A Drew 0:0 
v Watton Won 3:0 (Eve Barnes 2, Rebecca Gaffney) 
v Dereham Won 3:0 (Grace Kidner 2, Eve Barnes) 
v Magpies B Won 1:0 (Grace Kidner) 
v Pelicans Lost 3:1 (Eve Barnes) 
v Dragons Drew 0:0 
v Ipswich A Won 1:0 (Eve Barnes) 
v Ipswich B Drew 1:1 (Eve Barnes) 
v Norwich Won 1:0 (Eve Barnes) 
David Kidner

Girls U12A Team Take Silver at Magpies
What a lovely Sunday morning - crispy cold yet the sun was out, a perfect day for a hockey tournament for both players and spectators! 
The 'A' team had a squad of 8 players who were (in alphabetical order): 
Maddie Anthony - self motivated solid goalie 
Megan Conway - reliable defender and attacker 
Louisa Crabtree - consistent solid defender 
Victoria Findlay - steady and consistent striker 
Abbie Ingham - steady feeder and crosser 
Anna Tighe - consistent feeder and crosser  
Lauren Rowe - all rounder and big hitter 
Evie Wills - solid defender 
A strong team indeed, as each and every one of these girls bought their own special skills to the hockey pitch. On paper we looked extremely unbeatable, especially watching them play, it seriously bought back memories of them in 2010 winning the U10 Yazoo East Regional Championships, but due to this being the only day that the girls had actually played hockey together since then I must admit I was a bit nervous for them! We did not have the best of starts but after the first three games we soon settled down and started to play like the team they used to be - but older! 
Scores were: 
Ipswich B Loss 1-2 
Ipswich A Won 1-0 
Magpies Draw 0-0 
Watton Won 5-0 
Dereham Won 2-0 
Magpies B Won 3-0 
Pelicans Won 2-0 
Dragons Won 3-0 
Norwich City B Loss 0-1 
On the whole, the very NEW 'A' team fought a good fight, and all goals scored were not just taps-in over the line (although a goal is a goal) they were amazing, in fact most were like bullets! Our defenders played so well that most of the opposition found it really hard to even get into their own attacking D. 
Mandy Ingham 

U12 Boys in the Medals at Pelicans Tournament
With several players at the JDC or on holiday, we sent a relatively inexperienced team up to the Pelicans U12 tournament – five of the eight boys had only moved up from U10s this season. However, they did the Club proud! 
Our first game was against Watton and we struggled initially to break them down – in fact it was only some solid tackling from Yu-Hin Chan and Harry Ingham in defence that kept us in the game. However, after a few minutes our boys got going and we fired off a number of shots only for each to be saved by the keeper. The breakthrough came from a Cameron Cook strike from the top of the D which was well saved by the keeper. The rebound reached Harry Paterson who rocketed a shot over the outstretched keeper’s leg into the far corner. Norwich had all the attacking after this and our second goal came from a powerful Cameron strike off a short corner for a 2-0 win and a great start. 
We continued in the same vein against Dragons, with some beautiful hockey played: Dougie Tomlinson and Jo Wales battled hard for the ball in midfield, Dan Phillips and Harry P exchanged passes up the right and Cameron was a constant threat up front. We missed a number of chances until we won another short corner and Cameron scored a carbon copy of his earlier goal for a good 1-0 win. 
Next against Pelicans, we started off well and the match looked evenly balanced. We missed a couple of opportunities before a through ball from Pelicans found one of their players unmarked in front of goal and we were suddenly 1-0 down. It was here that the team’s inexperience showed a little: our heads dropped, we were less confident on the ball and Pelicans took full advantage – we lost the game 4-0 but, had we snatched the first goal, we probably would have won. 
And finally Magpies, the eventual tournament winners: we battled hard and our superkeeper, Jack Cazier, re-found his normal robust style of play. However, Magpies were just too strong and we failed to clear our lines quickly or strongly enough, eventually losing 4-0 in a tough game.  
Overall Norwich came a respectable third in the competition. Whilst the boys were disappointed, they shouldn’t be: for much of the afternoon the team had played really well and there were some great individual performances. From a coach’s perspective, you learn more from the games you lose than those you win, so we will be working on keeping our heads and shape when we are losing, marking strongly and clearing our lines. Fortunately these are not difficult to address and the team will come back stronger!  
Player of the Tournament: Harry Paterson, for his high work rate throughout and visionary passing. 
Most Improved Player: Yu-Hin Chan, who was a revelation in defence with some great tackling and interceptions.

U12 Green Goddesses Gun for Gold in Mini Tournamen
U12 Green Goddesses Gunning for Gold in First Mini Club Tournament of Season 
1st match v PELICANS (0-1) 
Although we started off really well, in the middle of the game Pelicans made a clean break and scored a goal, so unfortunately despite a good first performance we just lost. 
2nd match v NCHC Blues (0-0)  
We managed to come away with a goal-less draw only because we knew the opposition very well and our defenders knew what they had to do to keep the scores low. Well done to Lydia, Rebecca & Ellie. 
3rd match v MAGPIES A (0-1) 
This was our toughest game of the day; we had to work very hard but only conceded a single goal. The whole team fought off constant attacks. We had the odd attack but they were just too much for us on this occasion – next time we hope to improve the result!  
4th match v DEREHAM (0-0) 
Eve Barnes missed out on two goals after some great dribbling down the pitch, and Grace Kidner blasted a ball at goal but missed by only a millimetre. Norwich had the most possession and we were permanently attacking. The score-line does not adequately describe the heart-stopping game this was. Well done girls!  
5th match v NORWICH CITY Yellows (3-0) 
We won this match due to a great team effort, our defenders Rebecca Gaffney, Ellie Pitcher & Emily Rash kept intercepting their attackers and feeding our mid Lydia Ellis-Baumber who then in turn passed to Eve Barnes and then to Grace Kidner. Grace scored all 3 of our goals! 
6th match v MAGPIES B (1-0) 
Our final match and the girls worked so hard managing to claim another win. This time Eve Barnes was on a mission to score and it worked! The whole team played in this and the defenders rolled-around. They were really positive and worked well together. All defenders and attackers fought the whole way until the final whistle. 
A big thank you to the girls for their great effort today! In the end we came 4th in the tournament, not bad for a team who is not use to playing together, it took a few games to gel but when we did we were fabulous. Everyone contributed to each game in their own way and here are the team contributions: 
Eve Barnes – Attacker, never gives up, goal scorer. 
Amelia Ellis-Baumber – Calm Goal Keeper. 
Lydia Ellis-Baumber – Calm defender & big hitter! 
Rebecca Gaffney – Solid defender. 
Grace Kidner – Tournament Captain, Attacker & goal scorer 
Emily Rash – Solid defender. 
Ellie Pitcher – Solid defender 
Anja Wimmer – Attacker and great cross passing in the D. 

Under 12s Promising Start to 2011/12 Season
As it was so early in the season, the coaches decided to use the tournament to give all our available U12 players matchtime and we put in two reasonably even teams - the Norwich Knights and the City Wizards. 
In contrast, Magpies put out their Norfolk Championship side from the previous season, so it was always going to be a tough start for the Knights to face them in the first game. And so it proved, with the Knights looking rusty after a long summer off and without their “game heads” on. Only Jack Cazier in goal kept the score down to 8-0 and, even worse, Harry Paterson had to be carried off after receiving a direct hit to the ankle and couldn't take part in the rest of the tournament. 
However, the defeat woke the Knights up and after that they got stronger with every game. We were the better team against Red Dragons, but couldn't manage to find the goal in a 0-0 thriller. Josh Bailey scored the winning goal against North Walsham with a goal from an impossible angle and probably should have had a hat-trick, hitting the post and narrowly missing a couple more. We went on to beat Green Dragons 2-0, again with Josh scoring. By then the midfield was working well with Josh, Sam Bingham, Daniel Phillips and Theo Hinton covering lots of ground and passing well. At the back Jack Watling and Yu-Hin Chan were very solid, getting in crucial touches to prevent the opposition scoring, and Alex Pollard acquitted himself well as a utility player. 
Next up was the Knights vs Wizards derby - a really even game with attacks both ends. The game ended in controversy with the Knights letting the ball go behind for their 16 yard hit and the Wizards carried on with Joe Flatt pushing the ball into the goal, which the umpires confirmed, giving a 1-0 win to Wizards. The Knights felt somewhat hard done by, but fortunately it made no difference to the tournament result. Finally the Knights played Pelicans, and with goals from Dan Phillips and Theo Hinton, won 2-0 in a very convincing manner. 
The Wizards started with a 2-1 win against Pelicans. We had most of the possession and at 1-0 up looked in total control. Pelicans, however, scored a breakaway equaliser leaving little time for us to fight back. Fortunately Joe Flatt finished a good move involving Will Sutcliffe to score his second goal of the match. The second game saw the Wizards dominate against North Walsham with Will finishing well to score 2 goals. Will scored his third goal in the 1-0 win over the Green Dragons, which saw good midfield work from Dougie Tomlinson and Lee Allsop. Next we beat Red Dragons 2-0 with both James Hewett and Joe Flatt scoring and an excellent contribution from Rob Duffy in midfield.  
So, magically, the Wizards had won all their six games, with the final game against Magpies deciding the winners of the tournament. Despite valiant efforts from Harry Ingham and Tom Spencer in defence and support from the midfield, the result was never really in doubt once the Magpie goal machine got into gear and, despite a number of quality saves from Jack Cazier, the result finished as a 7-0 defeat. 
At the end of the tournament, out of seven teams, the Magpies came a very convincing and deserved first, City Wizards a spellbinding second and Norwich Knights a valiant third. Given this was only the second hockey game of the season and some of our players were new to U12s and relatively inexperienced, this was a great result. It has also given the coaches a better understanding of the relative strengths of all our players and the things we need to work on over the next few weeks in training. So all in all, lots of fun, a successful day and the promise of a good season ahead. 
Player of the Tournament: Jack Cazier for goalkeeping for both teams and making some absolutely superb saves 
Knights Outfield Player of the Tournament: Sam Bingham for working tirelessly and effectively in mid-field 
Wizards Outfield Player of the Tournament: Joe Flatt for scoring 4 goals from a midfield position 
Al Paterson & Geoff Spencer

U12 Boys Proud Performances at East Finals...
Despite finishing third in the Norfolk finals the team was invited to still represent Norfolk in the East Finals on Sunday 17th April at Harleston. 
This was always going to be a great experience for the boys to be a part of, playing teams wider across the East of England, teams that the boys have never had the chance to play before. 
Our day started against Old Loughtonians, once of the most famous clubs in the East with their many years of Mens and Ladies National League experience, so likely to be a tough encounter. The coach remained calm and left the boys to battle into the unknown none the wiser, hoping that they would not be phased about who they were up against. It was a shock start as Norwich City launched the early attacks and soon George Brine found himself on his favourite reverse stick (!) to fire home the opener from close range, 1-0 ahead. Then a well worked short corner routine allowed Sam Paterson to dance around the first runner and fire in from the close range, 2-0 ahead (blimey!). The Old Loughts coach was clearly concerned and the noise levels rapidly increased as he tried to get his team back into the game. A few excellent runs from Old Loughts soon brought them back into the game, bringing it to a 2-2 a piece at half time. The second half was a good battle both ends, both keepers making some fine saves from varying angles. It was late in the half when Old Loughts got their third and pushed 2-3 ahead. With almost time at an end Norwich pushed forward for the equaliser, only to conceed posession and the opportunity quickly came the other end for Old Loughts to score a break away goal, leaving it 2-4 at the final whistle. Almost a shock opening result and Norwich supporters amazed by how well they had played against such strong oposition (who went on to be unbeaten and win the entire event to become East Champions!). 
Our next fixture was against Saffron Walden, a quick change of socks into black to void the clashe, and hoping that the passing wouldn't start to go astray as we found passes to yellow socks insteads of yellow and green shirts. A more balanced game and both teams began strong with action in both circles for the goalkeepers to deal with. It was George Brine who swung the balance in City's favour as he opened the scoring with a great solo finish. Sam Paterson shortly followed up with a great run and a hit from the top of the circle into the bottom corner. The score line remained at 2-0 for Norwich, and with the attacks from Saffron Walden being picked up well by Fred Anthony, Josh Bailey and Tom Ling at the heart of the City defence, Jack Cazier behind them in the goal seeing all chances cleared with seaming ease. A victory at the final whistle 2-0 to Norwich. 
Then it was on to Essex club Maldon, a team we knew nothing about but Essex and Kent normally one of the stronger areas of the East region to contend with. The first half was hard faught, this time the opposition goalkeeper (son of ex-Wanderer super star Phil Aspinal) was on fine form and stopping every opportunity that City were firing at him. It was just before the half time whistle when George Brine managed to break the deadlock and slotted from close range into the far corner. The second half continued in City's favour, pretty much camped in the Maldon half of the pitch, but again Aspinal in the Maldon goal getting his feet to everything. George soon got his second with a great strike from the top of the circle, a fine finish. And with minutes to go George got his hat-trick goal with great interplay from Sam Paterson and Sam Bingham in midfield laying it through to George to finish from close range. Another victory, 3-0, and yet another clean sheet for City's defence. 
The last of the preliminary matches was against Bury St Edmunds, last years winners of this event, so obviously a team to watch out for. And knowing that a victory in this match would see Norwich City U12 boys progress into the last 6 of the tournament (15 starting in the event) and on into the playoffs. The game began well balanced, both teams playing great hockey, but a dart through midfield, linking with Sam Bingham, Jake Cushion and Joe Wales beside him, it was Sam Paterson who opened the scoring, a well struck shot from just inside the circle giving the keeper no chance. This seemed to give the City boys belief and they continued to improve, playing the ball amongst themselves with ease and great passing and moving all over the pitch. The last goal fell to George Brine, another 1-on-1 opportunity for him to slot into the bottom corner. A victory of 2-0 at the final whistle, and clean sheets in their previous three fixtures, but more importantly a place in the last 6 of the event, an achievement nobody had come with such a high expectation. 
The last 6 play offs consisted of the winners and runners up in all three groups, and was a delight to see all three Norfolk sides in that last 6, Norwich City, Harleston Magpies and Pelicans, a great achievement for the county and showing how strong we are to take 3 of the last slots. 
The play offs would see us take on Cambridge City, Sudbury and local rivals Pelicans, a true battle was upon us against such strong opposition and in what was starting to be alot of hockey (the majority of the boys already playing the day before was clearly taking its toll). 
As you can tell the coach is trying to set up the excuses for what was to come, and the boys just seemed to not play as well as they had done so far, and with the first game slipping away to Pelicans 3-0, the end of the day was looking not far away. The next result fell to Sudbury, 2-0, a game which the boys could have easily won, but they did seem to be flagging, and back to back games after Pelicans was definately not a good thing. Then a loss of 1-0 to Cambridge City ended the days proceedings. 
BUT, without dwelling on the play off round, the boys did fantastically well, placed third in the Norfolk Campionships and competing in the East Finals was such an achievement, let alone making it through to the final 6 teams for the play offs was a remarkable outcome to the day. Everybody played so well, the boys playing such great hockey for the majority of it, and clearly a peak performance on the season as a whole. 
The eventual winners were Old Loughtonians who went on to play and beat Pelicans in the final, both of which had given Norwich City fine games in previous rounds. 
A great squad performance from all, Fred Anthony, Josh Bailey and Tom Ling in the heart of the defence, with Jack Cazier performing so well in goal. Sam Paterson, Sam Bingham, Jake Cushion and Joe Wales working so hard in midfield, and George Brine working tirelessly up front. 
A great finish to the season, a weekend packed of hockey, winning the Pelicans tournament on the Saturday and then getting to where they did in the East Finals on the Sunday must be seen as a proud way to conclude any year of hockey. 
Well done to all those who played, BE VERY PROUD OF WHAT YOU ACHIEVED, great assistance from Al Paterson as always on the Sunday, and look forward to seeing the boys again next season, albeit time for me to move onwards as George steps into the world of Development Hockey. 
Pies (Coach)

Norwich City Boys U12s win Pelicans Tournament...
On Saturday 16th April the U12 boys took part in the Pelicans Tournament, a great warm up for the East Finals the follow day at Harleston. 
With usual suspects Harleston Magpies neglecting to enter a team it was a great opportunity for Norwich to finish their U12 season on a high note. 
The first game was against Watton, and with the usual slow start expectations of City, they needed to be alert to make sure they kept their chances alive by a good first match performance. Watton having a good strong side made it a tight first half, with chances for both teams to open the scoring. It was a great strike into the roof of the net from Sam Paterson to open the scoring, and this seemed to kick start Norwich to up their game. George Brine soon scored the second with a reverse stick strike, and Sam Paterson finished up with a great converted short corner (victory 3-0 vs Watton).  
The second was against Pelicans, our hosts, and having got off to a good start it wasn't long before we started to rattle in the goals. Joe Wales starting with a great finish at the far post, George Brine finishing a good solo run, George Brine working well with Sam Paterson to open the Pelicans defence for George's second, Josh Bailey sweeping in high into the net and soon afterwards with a near post finish, and a final goal for Sam Paterson from another well worked short corner routine (victory 6-0 vs Pelicans). 
The last game was against Dragons, a result we should win and secure the tournament victory. Again a great start and this time tournament captain Sam Bingham picked up a great cross and slotted from close range, then Sam Paterson rattled in another, Josh Bailey on a great run at goal for another, Sam Paterson again from a great worked short corner, Josh Bailey getting another through great pace from midfield, and Sam Bingham concluding the scoring with a well struck goal from just inside the circle (victory 6-0 vs Dragons). 
A convincing day of hockey, yet again Jack Cazier saving everything put his way, and great work in defence by Fred Anthony, Will Kidner and Alfred Kidner. Good inter-play along the midfield of Samp Paterson, Sam Bingham, Joe Wales and Josh Bailey, playing great passing and moving at times. And solo striker George Brine, linking well with his midfield and making a menace of himself for the opposing defenders. 
A great conclusion to mini hockey for this season, and with some moving on to the development team next season, and the others staying to fight another year at U12s, what a great way to finish. 
As always a pleasure to be able to work with the U12 boys and best of luck for those remaining with the U12 next season. A final thank you to Al Paterson and Geoff Spencer for their assistance all season on the coaching side, and great that both of them can remain involved with the U12s again next season, welcoming in the new faces from the U10s.  
Best of luck to everybody with their future hockey - some excellent talent amongst every one of them, a great future ahead for the club as they progress onwards and upwards... 
Pies (Coach)

Norwich City U12s Boys at Dereham
The weekends of tournaments continued and this time the U12 boys went over to Dereham to play in their Alex Hill Memorial minis tournament. With a few of the regular faces away playing in the U13 JAC tournament it was a great opportunity for some of the less regular players to get an opportunity to play. Up stepped debutants Tom Ling, Lee Allsop and out of goal for the first time Fred Anthony. 
The tournament started brightly as Norwich took on the host team, Dereham, with Sam Tomlinson leading the way as team captain with a solo reverse stick flick high above the goalkeeper from close range. Sam Bingham scored the second goal, a great team play moving the ball forward, with the final pass finding Sam at the far post for a sweep high into the roof of the net. A 2-0 victory to get them off to a flying start. 
With only 10 minute games it was always going to be a quick dash to get ahead in these games, the next game was against Pelicans B, a team who played well in defence, lots of numbers, and Norwich struggling to find the passes to get around them. Joe Wales opened the scoring in this match, a seized opportunity by snatching a shot at a lose ball in the circle. A moment of lapse in concentration saw Pelicans B score the equaliser when they broke down a City attack and the turn around gave them extra numbers against an out of position midfield and defence. The final hooter went and Norwich had secured more valuable points with a score-draw. 
Then came Watton, and this match was the "Josh Bailey Show" as Josh managed to use his skill and pace numerous times to carve through the Watton defence, using great technique to get around the back time and time again. The first goal was scored from close range in at the near post by Josh, the second from just inside the circle by Josh, and yes his hatrick was concluded with a great strike from the top of the circle (Sam Tomlinson ushering the ball in without needing to take the touch to take it away from Josh). 
The next two game was against Magpies and it looked as though it was going to be an even match, however ex-City boy Kieran Peters was soon to upset the balance of play by his instrumental involvement in their opening goal. Magpies weathered the storm from the subsequent City attacks, but there was just enough time for Magpies to score a couple more goals before the end of play, 3-0 loss to Magpies. 
Tournament leaders, Pelicans A, were next up, and playing with their strongest team they have had all season this was clearly going to be a challenge for Norwich. Despite a strategy of marking their key players tightly, the goals began to go Pelicans way, rattling in 5 goals in total to give Pelicans a 5-0 victory. 
The last game was against Dragons, and the packed scheduled was obviously taking it out of the boys, showing tired legs as the game progressed. Dragons put on the finest performance we had yet to see from them, with ex-City player Mark Savill playing very well for the opposition in the heart of their midfield. The Dragons defended in numbers, conceeding any attacking play in the Norwich end of the pitch, but stopping any of the City attacks. Some great goalkeeping and last ditch saves by their goalkeeper made this game look like a scoreless draw. However, with 10 seconds left on the clock, Josh Bailey managed to break through and fired a shot goalbound, Sam Tomlinson ushering this one over the line, making 100% certain by giving it an extra touch. A tight victory, winning 1-0. 
So, the points were added up and the team were awarded a very respectable third place, a result to be proud of considering how well they had played, and with excellent passing and moving to create "team goals". 
A quick well done to the entire team on how they played, and a very special mention to Tom, Lee and Fred for putting in fine debut performances, none of them looking out of place, all working hard and playing the roles asked of them. 
Pies (Coach)

U12 Girls Win Norfolk Hockey Championships
On the 13th March, on a cold overcast morning, history was made by Norwich City’s U12 girls by winning the Norfolk Hockey Championship, scoring a total of 25 goals to none conceded. The individual game results were as follows: 
Dereham B 3-0 
Watton 9-0 (after an appeal - the umpire actually admitted he lost count!) 
Dereham A 1-0 
Dragons 10-0 
Harleston 1-0 
Pelicans 1-0 
Alice Hopgood scored 9, Victoria Findlay 7, Abby Gooderham 3, Gussie Welsh 2, Lauren Rowe 1, Alice Whitmore 1, Eleanor Perkin 1. You will see that we are 1 goal short and this is because the Dereham goalie kindly scored that one for us! After a slightly shaky first 5 minutes, where the girls were setting down and getting used to the water based pitch, we showed an early dominance over Dereham B and then had an hour wait until Watton, which turned into a bit of a goal fest and gave everyone the chance to warm up before going straight into our first tough match against Dereham A which was well fought, although we had the upper hand and Summer was beginning to feel as though she wasn’t going to see any action. We then went into another goal fest against Dragons. Now came the hard part, Harleston and Pelicans. Harleston had not lost one game and they fought extremely well against a slightly flagging Norwich side. This is where Summer came into her own and did some fantastic saves to take us through to the final game where there only had to be one result. Again Summer was stretched to the limit at times but Eleanor popped one in and we were home and dry. Individual performances per game are too numerous to mention, but in summary: 
Summer Haylock (GK)- really rose to the challenge when required and saved our bacon on more than one occasion 
Alice Beckett – always solid in defence, dependable, ice calm and there just when you need her 
Victoria Findlay – 6 goals in one game, need we say more! 
Abby Gooderham – super quick, always offering support and great skills 
Alice Hopgood – a little tiger, enthusiastic throughout, 9 goals and essential skills 
Eleanor Perkin – great for finding space on the wings and feeding the ball into the D, an essential last goal 
Grace Rider – solid as a rock and I never have to worry if Grace is about. Didn’t score a goal, but definitely would have if I had let her go forward 
Lauren Rowe – shows great maturity, knows her stuff and is very dependable 
Gussie Welsh – never-ending energy, a great attitude and very hungry for the ball 
Alice Whitmore – buzzing around, hugely enthusiastic and great for always being in there with the action 
Girl of the Tournament goes to Alice Hopgood, for scoring 9 goals and huge determination. 
Bring on the Regionals! 
Thank you to all the parents for their wonderful support and to the whole team for their kind words from the winner’s balcony. 
Adrian Fennell - Coach

U12 Boys Runners-up at Watton - Sunday 20th March
The U12 boys embarked on yet another of the back to back weekends of tournament hockey, this time at Watton where they were up against Dragons, Pelicans, Harleston and Watton. 
City started brightly and unlike previous tournaments were out of the blocks as soon as the hooter went. Their opening fixture was against Dragons and they knew they needed to focus to make sure they got an early tournament win to give them a chance of being in the medals at the end. They started with some great team hockey, fabulous one two passes and a sign of playing as a true team. I wasn't long before the great play was rewarded with goal mouth opportunities and soon they began to see them rattling in. Sam Paterson getting himself a hatrick, Sam Tomlinson getting another, and George Brine getting himself 2 goals. A victory against Dragons with a scoreline of 8-0. 
Their second was against Pelicans, and City having won their opening game with ease they needed to make sure they focussed on playing as a team and expecting more of a fight against one of the teams normally finishing high in these tournaments. City passed well and movement off the ball was a great delight to watch, some fine work by the City midfield was soon rewarded as yet more goal mouth action begun. It wasn't long before the goals began to fall and again Sam Tomlinson getting a hatrick, and Sam Paterson also getting one for himself too. A slight lapse in concentration with a breakaway chance from Pelicans gave them their only goal, giving City a 6-1 win at the final hooter. 
The third fixture was against Magpies, who had also won their previous fixtures, so a battle at the top of the league, but City knowing that a draw would be enough to go top due to their far superior goal tally. City started the stronger of the teams and some great work by the City midfield began to find their way through the Harleston defense. It wasn't long before Sam Bingham got the reward for his hard work by opening the scoring with a great sweep at the far post. The game became very open with both teams making great moves on the oposing team goals, with defenders working overtime to keep the ball out of the danger area. Harleston soon found a way through the City defence and managed to squeeze in a goal from close range, City giving them a few too many seconds to pick out that much needed pass. The game continued with end to end action, and it wasn't until a heroic stick block by Harry Ingham to a Harleston top of the D shot saw his stick fly out of his hand and whilst trying to recover from the floor was struck from close range directly into the foot and that was the end of his hockey for the tournament and sadly a few weeks of recovery needed. A short corner was awarded and whilst City tried to find their shape without Harry it allowed Harleston the chance to convert for their second goal. The hooter wasn't long after the restart and City disappointed that points were conceeded, a great performance to very proud of and sadly "these things happen". 
The last game was against Watton and City knew that a win here would put them into second place and a silver medal finish. The team bounced back from the previous match and again their superior strength in midfield and on the forward line soon saw them create more goal mouth chances. Sam Tomlinson opened the scoring and soon rattled in more to complete yet another hatrick, Sam Paterson soon followed with his hatrick, and goal of the day soon came from George Brine with a reverse stick shot from the top of the circle into the far corner of the goal. Another great victory and a 6-0 scoreline concluded this match. 
A great performance by the entire team, signs of how to play as "a team" and how passing and moving can create so many more chances than just trying to run with the ball. With a disappointing late goal conceded to Harleston, the came in a very respectable second place, a goal difference way ahead of anybody else, and signs for further tournament matches and the East finals to come. 
Well done to the entire squad, Jack Cazier as solid as ever in goal, Harry Ingham, Tom Spencer and Charles Larner playing well as a team to hold the defence, Sam Paterson, George Brine, Theo Hinton and Sam Bingham working well together in midfield and Sam Tomlinson working well up front. 
Our best wishes to Harry Ingham, fingers crossed nothing was broken and a good rest and feet up will soon get him back on the road to recovery... 
Pies (Coach)

U12 Boys County Championships - 13 March 2011
The U12 boys took on local rivals Dereham, Harleston Magpies and Pelicans in the Norfolk U12 County Championships.  
The team drew Pelicans in their first match and knowing that their opening performance is normally a little shakey they were keen to make sure they competed from the outset in what was going to be a challenging tournament ahead. Norwich started with an excellent first half with end to end action, seeing a number of fine saves from a very tall Pelicans goalkeeper, and going in at 0-0 at the break. The second half saw Norwich have a 5 minute purple patch and this was just what Pelicans needed to get themselves ahead, scoring 2 goals in quick succession whilst Norwich were unable to find their shape in their defensive formation. Norwich recovered well and an excellent move saw Josh Bailey sweep the ball into the roof of the net. A number of chances continue to fall for Norwich in the second half but again the Pelicans goalkeeper was on fine form. Pelicans managed to put away 2 more goals, with Norwich scoring a late goal in the dying minutes when George Brine had a fine solo run from the half way line to eventually slide the ball past the advancing keeper. The final whistle went before Norwich could continue their recovery, Pelicans taking a 4-0 victory, a scoreline which flattered the winners but on the balance they did deserve the win.  
The second match was against Harleston Magpies and this was a fantastic game for the spectators with end to end action and a real test of fitness for both sides. Magpies opened the scoring with 2 quick successive goals, both through some lapses in concentration with defensive duties, too many players chasing the same ball and not picking up the free players. Norwich soon kicked into gear and George Brine found himself in front of goal and fired in a shot into the far corner. Magpies nudged further ahead with 2 further goals, and another George Brine goal saw them go into the break just slightly behind. The second half was just as exciting and both teams playing exceptionally well. Norwich pulled back another goal when Sam Tomlinson managed to break through the defence and slot the ball just inside the near post. Magpies advanced further ahead, another hic up with picking up unmarked players in the circle. Norwich continued to fight back and a late goal from George Brine, to secure his hatrick, was not quite enough to stop the final Magpies victory scoreline of 7-4. 
The last game of the day was against Dereham, and Norwich were playing for pride and not wanting to be bottom of this tournament. Norwich were showing signs of "being up for it" from the start and Sam Tomlinson soon found himself unmarked in the circle and fired in a great shot which gave the keeper no chance. The second goal for Norwich fell to Josh Bailey, an excellent skillful move from midfield got him into the top of the circle and a great shot found its way to the backboard with ease. Dereham pulled a goal back before half time, showing Norwich that they need to work to the finish as the game was by no means over. The second half started and Dereham found themselves back in the game with their second, Norwich needed to get themselves back in front. The goal of the tournament was to follow, a great ball out the back from Will Kidner found its way to Sam Bingham, a pass through to Sam Paterson who with a one-two with George Brine at the top of the circle cut through the defence with ease and Sam Paterson fired in from close range (a great team goal, passing and moving was perfect). Norwich began to dominate the play and they wrapped up the result when George Brine worked well with Sam Tomlinson, George eventually placing the ball just inside the far post. A 4-2 victory went to Norwich, seeing them finish third overall. 
A vast improvement in their style of play from previous tournaments, and scoring 10 goals was clear they knew how to find the back of the goal. A little bit more focus on positional play and decisions with the ball could have made their results against Magpies and Pelicans much closer. All in all a great performance, and good work from every squad member (Jack Cazier, Will Kidner, Harry Ingham, Alfred Kidner, Sam Bingham, Josh Bailey, Sam Paterson, George Brine, Sam Tomlinson). And finally, a special mention to player of the tournament, Jack Cazier, showing great quality in the Norwich goal.

U12 Boys at North Walsham - February 2011





  [2019-2020]    [2018-2019]    [2017-2018]    [2016-2017]    [2015-2016]    [2014-2015]    [2013-2014]    [2012-2013]    [2011-2012]    [2010-2011]    [*]